July 10, 2009 (DVB), State-run media in Burma today confirmed that a 20-year-old man has become the second victim of the A/H1N1 swine flu virus in the country, following a trip to Thailand earlier this week.
Burma's Ministry of Health has quarantined all family members, along with the 104 fellow passengers on the plane that brought him from Thailand to Rangoon on 6 July, the New Light of Myanmar newspaper reported.
Echoing the case of the 13-year-old girl who last month become Burma's first A/H1N1 victim, the newspaper said that the man had not tested positive for a fever at the airport, but had fallen ill the next day.
"He is under intensive health care by a team of specialists in the hospital. Since this morning, he has been getting better with no fever," said the report.
The 13-year-old has reportedly recovered and was yesterday discharged from the Rangoon hospital.
The news follows criticisms from locals living along the Thai-Burma border that the thousands of tourists crossing into Burma each day were not being properly checked for A/H1N1 by health officials.
A local Burmese business owner living in the Thai town of Mae Sai, across from Tachilek town in Burma's Shan state, said yesterday that [Burmese] medical assistants at the border checkpoints are only assessing those who looked sick.
"They do check people who look nauseous but not everyone," he said.
A local in the Burmese border town of Myawaddy in Karen state, across from Mae Sot in Thailand, said there was also little change from the normal protocol of inspecting people at the checkpoint there.
Reporting by Francis Wade and Thurein Soe