Daw Suu agrees to accept food supplies

Sep 15, 2008 (AFP), Burma’s detained democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi is malnourished after refusing most food supplies for four weeks, her lawyer said on Monday after meeting her doctor.

"Although Daw Aung San Suu Kyi was not on a hunger strike, she was eating little because she hasn’t accepted food supplies since August 16," her lawyer Kyi Win said.

"Recently she has become malnourished. After she met with her doctor yesterday, she is eating more nutritiously," he said.

Her doctor Tin Myo Win spent four-and-a-half hours Sunday at Aung San Suu Kyi’s lakeside home, where she has been confined for most of the last 19 years, but he refused to give details on her health.

Kyi Win said the 63-year-old Nobel Peace Prize winner was not staging a hunger strike but had stopped accepting her daily rations from the military regime to demand greater rights for Burma’s people.

She has been surviving the last month mainly on small stocks of food that she had in her home, Kyi Win added.

"The reason for not accepting food like this was not only for her but to demand the prevalence of law and order in the country and to win the rights that all people should be granted," he said.

Nyan Win, spokesman for Aung San Suu Kyi’s National League for Democracy party, said she had agreed to start accepting food supplies from Monday but he could not say if the rations had already been delivered.

"She will accept her food supplies from today," Nyan Win said.

Neither the lawyer nor the spokesman could confirm if she had been granted any concessions from the regime, such as permission to receive mail or for her two maids to move freely in and out of the house.

Kyi Win said Friday he had held "positive" talks with the government on relaxing the terms of her confinement so that she could receive mail and monthly visits from her doctor.

He has also been allowed to meet her to discuss a legal appeal of her detention.

Leave a reply