Email This Story :
June 4, 2009 (DVB), Rangoon divisional court yesterday agreed to listen to an appeal from Aung San Suu Kyi's lawyers to readmit three defence witnesses disqualified last week, thereby delaying the final verdict until next week.
Three of the four witnesses representing the defence team were disqualified in a move that Suu Kyi's party believed to be an attempt by judges to finish off the trial "as soon as they can".
But the court will now use tomorrow to mull over whether to readmit the three National League for Democracy members, deputy chairperson Tin Oo, secretary Win Tin and Khin Moh Moh, who will testify in defence of Suu Kyi.
"We presented our [appeal] statement at the court around 3pm [yesterday]. Immediately after we finished, they passed a decision to accept it," said lawyer Nyan Win.
The court hearing has been appointed for 5 June at 3pm, during which judges will listen to statements from both the government and the defence team, said Nyan Win.
Meanwhile, many civilian sympathisers and supporters of Suu Kyi continue to gather in front of the Insein prison gates where she is on trial.
A man named Hla Kyaw Sein, from Taunggok, Arakan state, was nabbed by government security officials on Tuesday for unspecified reasons.
His arrest follows two previous incidents in former army lieutenant Zaw Nyunt and a man named Htway Thein were arrested outside Insein prison.
Reporting by Aye Nai