Email This Story :
Some 200 Shan rebel troops were repelled from a command post in Kehsi Mansam late last week by Burmese government soldiers … and their wives, state media reported on Monday.
A report by the military-backed Myawady news group said that a 200-strong unit of the Shan State Army-North (SSA-N) attacked a Tatmadaw [Burmese army] battalion’s command post up to five times on 29 and 30 October, leaving casualties on the Burmese side.
However, it noted, the “SSA ultimately retreated as officers, infantrymen and their wives defended the post.”
No further details of how many wives responded to the assault, nor how they armed themselves.
The Burmese military accused the SSA-N of also attacking another outpost in Mongsang on 24 and 28 October, while expanding its activities outside of its agreed-upon demarcated area.
SSA-N spokesperson Lt-Col Sai La dismissed the allegations of encroachment, and counter-claimed that the government units have provoked the hostilities in that region in an effort to force a suspension of the upcoming general election.
“On 29 and 30 October, the dates the government claims we attacked the outpost, we were fully engaged in some serious fighting in Monghsu Township. It was not feasible for us to mobilise troops to Weingkau, which is about 20 miles away and surrounded by Burmese army units,” he said, adding that the SSA-N remains focused solely on defending its headquarters in Wanhai.