Email This Story :
Though military appointees account for just 25 percent of parliamentary seats, they clearly punch above their weight. The recent secret ballot in the Union Parliament was a chance for the other 75 percent of MPs to unite against the men in green by stripping them of the veto they hold under Article 436 of the constitution.
But with only 61 percent of lawmakers voting to overturn the controversial clause, the motion was defeated. The military can rest easy again, knowing their stranglehold on power remains as tight as ever.