Arakan state’s Border and Security Affairs Minister Colonel Htein Linn said stability has returned to western Burma.
Colonel Htein Linn, while speaking to reporters during a press conference yesterday in the state’s capital Sittwe, said: “We would like to say that we now have the situation under control.”
He said relief work has been underway in the region since Wednesday and denied rumours that refugees were starving, while urging the media to contact authorities when reporting on the situation.
Nearly 31,900 people are being housed in 37 camps across Arakan state, said Colonel Htein Linn according to the AFP.
He also said he was unaware of the rumours circulating that a Burmese soldier had been allegedly shot by Muslim villagers.
He said locals in Arakan state have been living together in the region for a long time and were now feeling insecure in the rioting’s wake. The colonel noted that religious leaders have been trying to assist in bringing calm to the area.
“It is necessary to assist [refugees] with food and [shelter], while also working to gain their trust and clear the doubts in their minds,” said Htein Linn.
During the rioting from 8 June to the 13th, officials are reporting that 29 people were killed and 2500 homes, nine monasteries, seven mosques and a school were destroyed.
A relief worker in Sittwe said there was no report of any mob or arson attacks yesterday as heavy rains have soaked the region during the past two days.
However, there are reports of a dysentery outbreak at the camps housing the state’s displaced residents.