Security forces begin resettling displaced Rohingya

Security forces begin resettling displaced Rohingya

Residents in Arakan state’s capital Sittwe said security forces have begun resettling Rohingyas after weeks of rioting.

The Rohingya were taking refuge in Aung Mingalar ward in the state’s capital after fleeing violence that erupted earlier this month. The displaced group was being sent back to Rohingya villages located on the city’s outskirts last Friday.

They said although tensions between Arakanese and Rohingya communities have calmed down significantly as of late, distrust among the groups is still in the air in Mingan ward where riots kicked off in early July.

Arakanese and Rohingya residents were both said to have unofficial guards watching over their respective areas at night in the city to prevent further arson attacks because the area did not have enough assistance from the government to sustain order.

According to a report published on 20 June by the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Human Affairs, officials acknowledge that about 52,000 people had been displaced by the violence, however, unofficial reports estimate between 80,000 and 90,000 people were seeking shelter in temporary camps.

While the situation in Arakan state mellowed over the week, the area’s weak infrastructure continues to impede the delivery of essential aid to displaced people who fled the fighting.

UN officials, NGO workers and more than 100 members of the Myanmar Red Cross have begun to return to the area now that the fighting has been largely quelled.

According to officials, about 80 people have been killed and more than 2,000 homes have been destroyed since sectarian riots erupted in western Burma in early June.

Leave a reply