Email This Story :
Jan 3, 2008 (DVB), Mobile phones and landlines used by reporters and foreign correspondents have been cut off by Myanma Post and Telecommunications following the September protests, said media sources in Rangoon.
A journalist in Rangoon said that foreign correspondents from well-known news agencies such as NHK and Reuters were among those whose phone lines had been cut, as well as diplomats from some foreign embassies.
"We have paid all the fees and charges for our phone use and can’t understand why our lines are being shut down, said one source, speaking on condition of anonymity.
"We asked the MPT about this and they said they had received an order to do it."
The MPT, Ministry of Information and Ministry of Home Affairs all denied responsibility for the loss of telephone services.
The Military and Security Affairs department also denied their involvement, stating they were "not part of this operation".
Reporting by DVB