Thursday, February 22, 2024
HomeNewsGov’t launches investigation into mob attack

Gov’t launches investigation into mob attack

A union-level investigation team has launched a probe into the killings of 10 Muslim pilgrims in Arakan state’s Taungup town by a mob, which was one of the precursors to the sectarian riots that erupted in western Burma earlier this month.

The investigation team led by the deputy minister of Home Affairs was formed five days after the mob attack in Taunggok on 3 June that left 10 Muslims dead in retaliation for the rape and murder of an Arakanese girl by three Muslim youths in Ramee township.

A resident in Taungup said the team has been questioning civilian and military officials who witnessed the assault as well as individuals who appear in the photos that were taken during the attack.

“The team has been investigating the incident for about five days. They were collecting testimonies from about 50 to 100 witnesses,” said the Taungup resident.

The team is set to present their findings to President Thein Sein by the end of the month.

The on going riots in Arakan state has left more than 80 people dead according to officials and displaced about 65,000 people.

Sittwe-based Rakhine Nationalities Development Party said four Arakanese residents were killed in a riot that broke out yesterday in Rathedaung township’s Gudaung village.

The party’s township chairman Hla Myint said the situation was quelled after police and military troops arrived at the scene.

 

RELATED ARTICLES

Feel the passion for press freedom ignite within you.

Join us as a valued contributor to our vibrant community, where your voice harmonizes with the symphony of truth. Together, we'll amplify the power of free journalism.

Lost Password?
Contact