Email This Story :
July 10, 2009 (DVB), The courtroom trying Burma opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi today resumed the trial and heard from one of two witnesses testifying in Suu Kyi's defense in a six-hour long session.
The trial had been subject to six-week delay during which the court heard appeals for the reinstatement of defense witnesses initially disqualified by the judges.
Only two of the four witnesses put forward, Khin Moe Moe and Kyi Win, have been admitted to stand. During the session today the courtroom heard a testimony from witness Khin Moe Moe.
"Before the trial, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi told me to answer only straight questions in accordance with the law," Khin Moe Moe told DVB.
"After the court hearing, she told me she was happy with my answers."
Today's hearing had originally been scheduled for 3 July, which would have clashed with the first day of UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon's visit to Burma.
It was postponed on the grounds that essential documents had not been received by the court.
If, as is widely expect, Suu Kyi is found guilty of breaching conditions of her house arrest, she could face up to five years in detention.
The trial, which has received widespread international condemnation, has been running since early May.
The next hearing has been set for 24 July.
Reporting by Naw Say Phaw