Artillery assaults continue, say Kokang rebels

Artillery assaults continue, say Kokang rebels

The Myanmar National Democratic Alliance Army (MNDAA) has alleged that Burmese government forces have continued attacks on rebel positions in the Kokang region, despite the declaration of a unilateral ceasefire earlier this month.

Tun Myat Linn, a MNDAA spokesperson, told DVB on Thursday that fighting in the area had slowed after the ethnic group declared a ceasefire on 10 June, but Burmese soldiers have continued with artillery strikes.

“The Burmese army have ceased infantry assaults, but continue to shell our positions with artillery on a daily basis, although the strikes are sporadic,” he said.

[related]

The Kokang spokesman also rejected rumours that the government had reached out to the MNDAA for a ceasefire.

“The government reached out neither to us nor our political wing,” he said.

The fighting between the Burmese army and the MNDAA broke out on 9 February in the Self-Administrated Zone of Kokang in northeastern Shan State. Heavy causalities have been reported on both sides.

Leave a reply