Cyclone refugees ordered to leave camps

Jul 3, 2008 (DVB), The regional police chief in the Labutta area of Irrawaddy division has ordered five centres for cyclone refugees to be cleared out by the end of the month, according to locals.

More than 10,000 cyclone victims are currently sheltering in the camps.

One local resident said the police chief had visited cyclone refugees in the camps on Monday and told them to move out by the end of July.

"The refugees were in tears and told him that they were not ready to move out and that they were afraid they might die without any shelter," the local said.

"He told them they can cling on to trees if another cyclone hits but that they cannot stay at the current location because the land is going to be sold."

The Labutta camps are the last remaining centres for refugees in the disaster zone since camps in Bogalay, Ma-au Bin and Daydaye were cleared out last month.

Reporting by Htet Aung Kyaw

Leave a reply