Migrant victims' families await full compensation

Feb 19, 2009 (DVB)-Families of 37 Burmese migrants who died last April whilst being smuggled into Thailand in a container truck have received some compensation from the company that owned the vehicle.

Fifty-four migrants suffocated and died in total. Eventually 46 of the victim’s families will receive compensation – the remainding eight were unable to show papers to prove their identity.

Tin Htun Aung, labour affairs coordinator of the Federation of Trade Union-Burma, said the families were yesterday given 35,000 baht at Ranong’s governor’s house as compensation for the deaths. The compensation was given in presence of Burmese officials and some NGO workers.

"The family members of the 37 migrants were given compensation checks at the governor’s house after going through necessary procedures," he said.

The families were supposed to get 100,000 baht in total – 35,000 fr0m the company and 65,000 from Thai government. Tin Htun Aung said the rest of the money will only be granted after a court trial of those involved in the case has finished.

"Eight people were involved in the incident and six of them so far are now in custody while two are still at large," he said.

Reporting by Aye Nai

Leave a reply