A Burma election candidate who was attacked while campaigning was released from hospital on Wednesday, as election staff and international observers geared up for the 8 November polls.
Three men wielding machetes attacked Naing Ngan Lynn, a candidate for the Rangoon regional assembly from the National League for Democracy (NLD), and two other people in the commercial capital last week.
On Wednesday, he was discharged from Yangon General Hospital to crowds of cheering supporters.
With a deep gash on his forehead and both arms in bandages, he told reporters that society still had a long way to go to understand democracy.
“It might be because some people don’t understand how democracy works. Democracy here is still immature. There is a lot of competition. As the whole country is now supporting the NLD (National League for Democracy), there are some worries concerning this. I think that might have caused the attack,” he said.
After being released from the hospital, he went back on the campaign trail amidst tight security in Thaketa township, the site of the attack.
NLD volunteers formed a human chain to protect party officials as the procession worked its way through the streets and Naing Ngan Lynn waved at the crowd.
But the attack has raised concerns over NLD leader and Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi’s security.
“I believe that Suu Kyi will be safe. I pray a lot for her. I worry about her security. I pray as much as I can for her,” said 32-year-old resident Swe Swe Myint.