Sunday, July 21, 2024
HomeBreakingNUG calls military ‘shameless’ for staging NCA event; Amnesty holds military responsible...

NUG calls military ‘shameless’ for staging NCA event; Amnesty holds military responsible for Oct. 9 attack

FROM THE DVB NEWSROOM

NUG calls military ‘shameless’ for staging NCA event

The National Unity Government (NUG) Acting President Duwa Lashi La called the military “shameless” for staging an event to celebrate the 8th anniversary of the Nationwide Ceasefire Agreement (NCA) on Oct. 15 in Naypyidaw. The NUG states that the NCA was voided when the military staged its Feb. 1, 2021 coup ousting and arresting leaders from Aung San Suu Kyi’s National League for Democracy (NLD) government.

“The government and the parliament participated when the NCA was signed,” said Duwa Lashi La. Original NCA signatories in 2015, the Karen National Union (KNU), the Chin National Front (CNF/CNA) and All Burma Students’ Democratic Front (ABSDF) have claimed that the NCA is void and have refused to attend the ceremony. 

The NUG adds that more than 6,800 clashes between the military and resistance forces have occurred over the last year with over 100 military outposts seized. Various representatives from Ethnic Armed Organizations (EAOs) attended the NCA anniversary on Oct. 15, including Yawd Serk from the Restoration Council of Shan State (RCSS) and Saw Mutu Say Poe, the former KNU chairperson. 

Amnesty holds military responsible for Oct. 9 attack

Amnesty International weapons experts analyzed photos and videos of the aftermath of the explosion at the Munglai Hkyet Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) camp on Oct. 9. It determined that the military likely used an unguided aerial bomb – consistent with other bombs used by the military – which killed 29 people and injured 57 others.

“The size of the crater and observed damage is consistent with the largest aerial-delivered bombs known to be in the inventory of the Myanmar military,” stated Amnesty International. Regime spokesperson Zaw Min Tun claimed that the blast took place at a storage facility operated by the Kachin Independence Army (KIO/KIA).

KIA spokesperson Naw Bu rejected this claim. Amnesty International states that the military attack may amount to a war crime. “This murderous assault by the Myanmar military is further proof of their complete disregard for civilian life,” said Matthew Wells, the director of Amnesty International’s Crisis Response Programme. 

DVB Weekly Cartoon: A military court sentenced Moe Myint Tun and Yan Naung Soe to 20 years in prison after removing them from the regime.

News by Region

MON—Resistance forces called on the New Mon State Party (NMSP) not to attend the NCA 8th anniversary event on Oct. 15 in Naypyidaw. The Mon State Resistance Force, an anti-coup resistance group, urged the NMSP to unite with the Mon people to defeat the military rather than working with them. It added that NMSP talks with the military over the last two years have not achieved anything for the Mon. It wants the NMSP to join the three Ethnic Resistance Organizations (EROs) that have refused to attend the NCA event. 

The Peace Process Steering Team (PPST) states that the NMSP, the Arakan Liberation Party (ALP), the Democratic Karen Benevolent Army (DKBA), the KNU/Karen National Liberation Army Peace Council (KPC), the Lahu Democratic Union (LDU), the Pa-O National Liberation Organization (PNLO), and the Restoration Council of Shan State (RCSS) were in attendance. 

SHAN/WA—Chinese authorities issued arrest warrants on Oct. 11 for two United Wa State Army (UWSA) officials accused of being key players in cyber scam operations. The two officials are Chen Yanban, the Wa State Minister for Construction, and Xiao Yanquan, a former UWSA brigade leader and the mayor of Moung Neng county in Wa State.

RFA reported that the two are accused of helping organize cyber scams using human trafficking victims in Wa State. The authorities have offered a reward ranging from 100,000-500,000 RMB ($13,700-71,200 USD) for information leading to their arrests.

KACHIN—Lonjonyang village in Bhamo district was razed to the ground by arsonists from the Burma Army on Oct. 12, the Kachin News Group reported. “Over 100 Burma Army personnel set fire to the houses intentionally,” said a resident. No casualties were reported. All villagers were sheltering at the Kachin Baptist Convention (KBC) compound in Dong Phoyan. 

CHIN—528 people have been killed in the state since the 2021 coup with 311 of them killed fighting the Burma Army alongside resistance forces, states the Institute of Chin Affairs (ICA). It adds that nearly 10,000 Chin between the ages of 18 to 35 have migrated to Malaysia. 

A member of the Chin community in Malaysia attributed these statistics – and the deteriorating economy – to the ongoing fighting between the Burma Army and Chin resistance forces over the last two years. “After the coup, the number of Chin people relocating to Malaysia has been increasing day by day,” he told DVB.  

BAGO—Bago Township residents reported that the price of basic commodities have increased due to the recent floods. A shortage of fuel has led to difficulties in transporting goods into the township. Many shops remain closed. Relief operations are ongoing despite decreasing water levels and residents returning to their homes. 

(Unofficial rate: $1 USD = K3,365, Official rate: $1 USD = K2,100)

Watch our latest: Deadly military attacks on civilians performance. DVB English News is on X, FB, Instagram, Threads, TikTok & YouTube.

RELATED ARTICLES

Feel the passion for press freedom ignite within you.

Join us as a valued contributor to our vibrant community, where your voice harmonizes with the symphony of truth. Together, we'll amplify the power of free journalism.

Lost Password?
Contact