Tuesday, July 23, 2024
HomeBreakingRegime official makes first visit to China since 2021 military coup; Arakan...

Regime official makes first visit to China since 2021 military coup; Arakan National Party reacts to UEC

Regime official makes first visit to China since 2021 military coup

A delegation led by regime deputy Soe Win departed Naypyidaw and arrived on Saturday to Qingdao, Shandong Province of China, where he will reportedly attend the Green Development Forum of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) on July 8-9. This would be the first visit by a senior regime official to China since the 2021 military coup. 

“They were welcomed at Qingdao Airport by Myanmar Ambassador to China Tin Maung Swe, Deputy General Secretary Ms Lin Bin of the Communist Party of China in Qingdao Municipal Region and officials,” regime media reported. Former President Thein Sein returned from a trip to Beijing last week

Min Aung Hlaing met with China’s Ambassador to Burma Chen Hai in Naypyidaw on July 4. During the meeting the two discussed “preparations for holding a free and fair multiparty democratic general election.” Chen Hai announced that he has completed his tenure as China’s ambassador to Burma. 

Arakan National Party reacts to Union Election Commission

The Arakan National Party (ANP) responded to the Union Election Commission (UEC) announcement last week to deny it political party registration despite it winning the most seats in Arakan State in the 2015 and 2020 elections.

“We believe the avenues to solve the problems through political means have been closed. Since our party’s registration was canceled, if elections are held in Rakhine State only organizations that have some form of communication with the military would participate,” said Tun Aung Kyaw, an ANP member. 

The UEC stated that the ANP violated Section 7 of the Political Party Registration Law, which stipulates that any group associated with organizations or individuals designated as engaged in terrorism, or using religion for political purposes, should be barred from registration. This refers to the ANP’s alleged links to the Arakan Army (AA).

Ta’ang National Liberation Army accuses military of bank robberies

The Ta’ang National Liberation Army (TNLA) claimed that the military stole two billion kyat ($615,795 USD) from CB and KBZ banks in Mogok Township of Mandalay Region on June 30. It added that it had recovered five million kyat ($1,539 USD) and jewels from a bag belonging to a soldier killed during fighting between the TNLA and the military in Mogok. 

“The situation in Mogok is calm at the moment. There are no soldiers in the town. We don’t know for sure that it was they who had robbed the banks,” said a Mogok resident. 

The Brotherhood Alliance, which includes the TNLA and the Myanmar National Democratic Alliance Army (MNDAA) relaunched attacks in northern Shan State and neighboring Mandalay Region on June 25. Fighting has been taking place in Lashio’s Mongyai Township since July 3. More than ten civilians have been killed. 

Artist Ess Sai Mein at the opening ceremony of “For the Country” exhibition at Pongnoi Community Art Space on July 5.

News by Region

CHINLAND—The Chinland Defense Force (CDF) Matupi announced on July 4 that 13 political prisoners held by the military escaped during fighting with Chin resistance forces in Matupi Township. The Chin Brotherhood seized control of Matupi on June 29. It launched its attack against the military in southern Chinland on June 9.

“They were detained at a police station before being transferred to a military battalion when Matupi town came under attack. Once the regime troops were defeated, the prisoners [escaped],” a CDF Matupi spokesperson told DVB. He added that plans to reunite the 13 escapees with their families are underway. 

MANDALAY—More than 60 million kyat ($18,473 USD) and three mobile phones were stolen at the Myanmar Apex Bank (MAB) in Namoolwin village of Patheingyi Township on Friday. “Six robbers with three motorcycles entered the bank at noon,” said a Patheingyi resident. 

NAYPYIDAW—The regime’s Ministry of Labour ordered all overseas employment agencies to submit personal information of all migrant workers currently working outside of the country. It said a failure to submit this information will result in legal repercussions.

“They are actually demanding proof that workers transfer 25 percent of their salaries,” a worker at an overseas employment agency told DVB on the condition of anonymity.

There are an estimated 570 licensed employment agencies but only half are able to find migrant workers legal work abroad, according to the ministry. All migrant workers from Burma now have to sign an agreement that they will transfer 25 percent of their salaries through regime-run banks. 

YANGON—The Yangon City Development Center (YCDC) ordered street food stalls located near schools in Thaketa and neighboring townships closed on July 5 after five people reportedly died from an outbreak of severe diarrhea. 

“Everyone is concerned about it,” said a Thaketa resident. The regime Ministry of Health stated on Sunday that there were no reported fatalities and blamed the outbreak on seasonal change brought on by the monsoon in Yangon. 

The Thaketa Township administration announced that food stalls should remain closed until July 12. Food inspection teams have been dispatched to investigate. Rumors circulated online last week that residents were receiving treatment at Yangon General Hospital for cholera.

What’s happening in Myanmar’s Chin State? A Chinland explainer. DVB English News is on X, FB, IG, Threads & TikTok. Subscribe to us on YouTube. Find us on YouTube Music.

RELATED ARTICLES

Feel the passion for press freedom ignite within you.

Join us as a valued contributor to our vibrant community, where your voice harmonizes with the symphony of truth. Together, we'll amplify the power of free journalism.

Lost Password?
Contact