Suu Kyi blames lack of security

May 27, 2009 (DVB), A lapse in security by police guarding Aung San Suu Kyi's compound is responsible for the visit of US citizen John Yettaw, for which she is currently standing trial, she told the courtroom today.

Speaking on the eighth day of her trial in which she is accused of breaching conditions of her house after the US citizen swam to her compound and stayed two nights, Suu Kyi pinned the blame for the incident on the government.

"Even though the main cause of the situation that has happened is a lack of, or a breach of security [at my house], no action was taken on those responsible for the security," Suu Kyi told the court.

"But only I am under prosecution and such an act is unjust."

The statement was released by her National League for Democracy party, who today reiterated its call for her release.

Facing questions over why she failed to report the incident, Suu Kyi reminded the court that Yettaw had visited in November last year and she had notified authorities.

"But the authorities did not conduct any investigation on that and I learnt no action was taken regarding on that," she said.

"Nor I was given any direction [by the authorities] to make an immediate report to them when a situation like that takes place."

She added that she didn't report the latest incident due to concern that it would harm both Yettaw and the security forces.

Furthermore, Suu Kyi's doctor, her only regular contact with the outside world, had been barred from entering her house the day after news surfaced of Yettaw's visit. As a result, Suu Kyi said, she was unable to report the incident.

Reporting by Francis Wade

Leave a reply