Tuesday, March 5, 2024
HomeLead StoryFire in Henzada kills one

Fire in Henzada kills one

A fire in Irrawaddy division’s Henzada on Wednesday has killed one person and destroyed five houses.

The blaze broke out in the town’s Thonbingwin ward at around one o’clock in the afternoon, in the home of 83 year-old retired schoolteacher Hla Kyi.

Locals said Hla Kyi, who had previously suffered from a stroke, was unable to escape the fire that devoured her home and four neighbouring houses.

“Hla Kyi has not been well – she suffered from a paralytic stroke,” said a local man. “She’s our sister.”

Over 100 fire fighters from the town’s fire department and auxiliary fire brigade rushed to the scene and had the blaze under control at two o’clock in the afternoon.


“The fire was too strong – we were unable to contain it, so we called the fire department – now trucks have arrived,” said one local man.

San Yu, from the auxiliary fire brigade, suffered a broken leg while attempting to put out the fire and was sent to Henzada hospital.

Five families have been made homeless after the fire destroyed their homes. They are sheltering at a nearby primary school and have been given aid by the Red Cross and local civil society groups.

It has not been confirmed what started the fire but locals suggest a stove that wasn’t put out properly ignited and spread in the hot dry weather.


Feel the passion for press freedom ignite within you.

Join us as a valued contributor to our vibrant community, where your voice harmonizes with the symphony of truth. Together, we'll amplify the power of free journalism.

Lost Password?