Suu Kyi trial again suspended

July 27, 2009 (DVB), The trial of Burma's Aung San Suu Kyi has been suspended for a second time in recent days and will resume tomorrow after the prosecution again failed to wrap up their statement.

The trial was expected to finish on Friday last week, but the hearing lasted only two and a half hours and didn't allow the prosecution enough time to deliver their statement.

Six diplomats, including US and UK officials attended today's hearing, as they had been allowed on Friday.

A lawyer for Suu Kyi, Nyan Win, said that today's hearing started at 10am and ran through to 5pm.

"After the lunch break, government prosecutors began presenting their statement and they didn't finish until the trial time was over at 5pm so the court decided to extend the hearing to tomorrow," he said.

The court heard statements from both Suu Kyi's lawyers and lawyer for John Yettaw, whose intrusion into her compound in May triggered charges that she had breached conditions of her house arrest.

Suu Kyi will be asked to arrive back at the courtroom at 10am tomorrow for what is hoped to be the final day of the trial.

It is unclear however when a verdict will be given, although Nyan Win told Reuters that it could take up to two or three weeks.

It is widely expected that she will be found guilty, and her lawyer said that his client was "preparing for the worst".

A source closes to Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy party said last week that Suu Kyi "was disappointed" with the court's decision to extend the trial because it gives the prosecution two days to prepare a counter argument.

The defence has only been allowed to put forward two witnesses, while the prosecution has heard from nine in total.

Reporting by Htet Aung Kyaw

Leave a reply