Shan State Army-North (SSA-N) has accused Burmese government forces of resuming their assault on the rebel group’s headquarters in Wanhai, despite sending representatives to Naypyidaw to discuss a truce.
On 18 November, the Burmese army’s Kolam-based regional military command informed SSA-N that an order had been issued to cease hostilities in Monghsu – where conflict between government troops and the Shan ethnic group had been raging since the beginning of October.
SSA-N representatives were subsequently invited by the government’s Union Peace-Making Work Committee to negotiate with officials in Naypyidaw, a Shan spokesman told DVB last week.
The five-person delegation departed from Shan State to Naypyidaw on Sunday.
SSA-N’s Maj. Sai Kham told DVB this morning that the Burmese army had resumed an attack on the rebel group’s positions in Monghsu on the same day the delegation departed.
“Despite the Kolam military command’s word on ceasing hostilities, their troops kept advancing on positions we had retreated from. Now, they are very close to our Wanhai headquarters – just about four or five miles south of it,” Maj. Sai Kham said.
The Burmese army launched an offensive against the SSA-N after the group declined acceding to the Nationwide Ceasefire Agreement signed by eight militias on 15 October. More than 10,000 locals in Monghsu, Mongnawng and Kehsi Townships have fled their homes amidst the fighting, according to the Shan Human Rights Foundation.