On Sunday, State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi paid a visit to the Bogyoke Aung San Museum in Bahan Township, central Rangoon, the very residence where she grew up as a child, and which is now a museum dedicated to her father, Burma’s independence hero Gen. Aung San.
The two-story colonial-style villa was Aung San’s last residence before his assassination in July 1947. It was opened to the public in 1962, but closed down during the era of Ne Win’s military dictatorship. For many years, the museum was opened only for one day each year– on Martyrs’ Day, which is tomorrow, 19 July – a restriction in line with the junta’s policy of curtailing mention of Aung San as part of a campaign to marginalise Suu Kyi.
The museum formally reopened on 24 March 2012, and is now listed as a heritage site.